01 August 2013

Raspberry Pi Sous Vide (2) -- Software

After a few days sober second thought, I have decided to keep things simple for a start, and use Chris Swan's design for my first iteration.  I can better understand Python and shell scripting than Java, and the overall program is much, much smaller.  With the Pi kernel and Python libraries now supporting GPIO, there is no need for a Python - shell - Python which was one thing that concerned me.  Now I can keep everything in one fairly small program.  More info here (go near the end for programming examples).

I've added the two modules w1-gpio and w1-therm to /etc/modules so the needed commands / interfaces should be readily available.  Instructions for getting the source and needed dependencies (wiringPi, wiringPi-python are here.

Edit:  Never mind.  I can handle changing the on and off scripts to native pascal, but not the temperature reading.  I am assuming for now that the code for reading the 1-wire temperature sensor is awesomely optimized and calling it regularly won't result in significant CPU overhead.  (I'm still hoping in the future to add a LAMP stack and serve web pages with current and historical temperature data, so saving clock cycles might be significant.)

No comments: